A Tafseer of Surah Yasin
The 36th chapter of the Holy Qur’an takes it’s name from the opening disjointed letters. These letters carry an interesting meaning which is discussed in the fascinating series on Islamic Courses Online, Tafseer of Surah Yaseen. It’s a very powerful way to open a surah, the letters grab the attention of the reader.
This chapter was revealed in the last stage of the Meccan period. The object of the surah is to warn the Pagans of the consequences of not believing in the Prophet Muhammad and of resisting and opposing him with tyranny, ridicule and mockery. Throughout the surah Allah warns the disbeliever numerous times and with every warning the punishment is made clear. Allah presents throughout this surah logical arguments that any sincere listener will be convinced in the idea that God is one and our return is to him.
Arguments have been presented for three things Tawheed, Hereafter and Prophethood. Tawheed, referring to the oneness of Allah in belief and action. Allah presents the signs of universe and appeals to common sense. When discussing the hereafter, Allah mentions the universal signs, common sense and also appealing to man’s own existence. Finally, prophethood, the discussion is from the fact that he facing all kinds of hardships in the preaching of his message without any selfish motive, and from this that whatever he was inviting the people to was rational and reasonable, accepting which was all in the people’s own interest.
After these numerous and convincing arguments Allah invites the believers to accept the truth and save themselves from eternal damnation. And those who refuse they will be severally punished, eternal hellfire.
It is narrated by Ma’qil bin Yasar, that the Prophet Muhammad said:
“Ya Sin is the heart of the Qur’an.”
The is like the description given to the surah al fatiha as the Umm Ul Qur’an, (essence of the Qur’an), because al- Fatiha contains the sum and substance of the teaching of the whole Qur’an. The Surah Yasin has been called the beating heart of the Qur’an because it presents the messae of the Qur’an in a most forceful manner, which breaks the inertness and stirs the spirit of man to action.
The following topics will be covered within this course:
- The sending of the Qur’an to the Prophet in order for him to warn the people.
- Story of the people of the town.
- The believing men called his people to follow the messengers.
- The proofs of the power of Allah.
- The behaviour of the disbelievers, they close their eyes and turn away from the clear signs.
- The belief of the polytheists, denying resurrection.
- The reward for the righteous.
- The punishment for the defiant disbelievers.
- Establishing the existence and oneness of Allah.
- Establish the decisive proof for belief in resurrection.
Junaid Dar is Head of Qur’anic Studies at Islamic Courses Online. He obtained a Masters in Civil Engineering from University College London (UCL) in 2007. After working as an engineer he went on to achieve his LLB in Islamic Law from the University of Al-Azhar in Cairo. Junaid has worked on numerous TV Stations around the globe including Huda TV, Islam Channel and Iqra TV International.
Who is the course for?
This programme is suitable for those who would like to learn about ‘The Tafseer of Surah Al-Ya Sin’, in a lively and interactive course, engaging all levels of students, it suitable for all those:
- Wanting to learn the meanings of the words of Allah in an accurate and structured manner.
- Who are looking to rationally grasp the evidence of the existence of Allah and the reality behind the resurrection.
- Who would like to study at the convenience of their timetable.
- For those wanting to understand the historical significance of the stories inside surah Ya Sin.
- Who those appreciate visual display of Qur’anic verses with clear explanations.
- Who want to visit orthodox understands of the stories of the Qur’an.
- Want a modern approach to learning classical subjects.
- For those who want to pace their learning according to their needs.
- It is a course for those who want to engage in contemporary discussions based on traditional teachings of the Qur’an. These verses connect us back to our creator with evidences and conviction, empowering Muslims to engage in dialogue with those who reject or misunderstand God.
On completion of this module, the successful student will:
- Be able to link the Seerah and Qur’an together.
- Derive multiple lessons from the story of the people of the town.
- Hold strong evidences for the existence of Allah.
- Gain decisive proofs for the resurrection of man.
- Understand the reason of revelation for this chapter.
- Read about the humanness of the Prophet Muhammad.
- Be able the story and recall it with ease and accuracy.
Are You Ready To Start?
You might be interested
These suggestions are selected based on relevancy
A study of the revered Family of Imran, including Maryam (AS) & Prophet Isa (AS). Their blessings & stories as mentioned in the Qur'an.Juz amma
The Destiny of Humanity –…
The Destiny of Humanity – Part 2 In the opening verses of the second chapter…
Allah’s Challenge to Mankind
Allah’s Challenge to Mankind One of the greatest miracles of the Holy Qur’an is its…
Family matter – Part 2
Family Matters The family is a part of the Islamic social order. The society that…
The Cow - the second, and longest, chapter of the Qur'an. Encompassing all manner of rulings, stories, reminders & promises of Allah.Surah Al-Baqarah